Yay, it’s the weekend! Oh wait, we are strapped for cash this weekend. It’s a few more days until pay day. So, what do we do? Let’s have a money saving weekend. Instead of putting ourselves further in the hole for the month, let’s think of some ways that we can put ourselves further ahead! Here is a list of kitchen activities that I like to do on a weekend to be further ahead for the month.
- Bake a batch of something! Pancakes always come to the top of my list. But, many other foods work well in this area. Freeze them and then you have breakfast or lunch options for the week. Here are some great ideas:
- Pizza Muffins
- Pack bags of snacks. If you are like me, you have tons of opened bags of chips, pretzels, and snacks that the kids have tried out. Pack these items in small zip bags and make a box of them in your pantry. Use these as snack bags for school or lunches.
- Make a mix ahead of time. There are recipes for quick bake mix similar to Bisquick, make ahead pancake mixes, and cake mixes. Google is your best friend! Make a mix with instructions to add water, eggs or milk later.
- Plan your menu. Look at what you have first and figure out what you absolutely need next time you go to the store.
- Take inventory of what you have and post it on your fridge and or pantry. Use up what you have to make something interesting.
- Organize your pantry. You will find lost items in there! Organize them into a system that makes sense for you. Try to put the hard to use items up front so it makes you think of ways to use them.
- Watch a video about a new recipe or cooking method. Learn a way to cook that may save you time or money later.
- Go through your old cook books. See if there are any recipes that you meant to try but never got around to. Try something new or put it on your list for later.
- Have a leftover night. I know this is a regular item on a list like this but you could make it fun and give everyone options about what they want. Create a fun menu with your leftover items on them. Have the family “order” what they want for the evening.
- Look at the ads for the week. See what fruit or meats are at rock bottom prices in the future. Plan new ways to use these ingredients.
All of these ideas will help you begin to think of ways to use up what you have. It will also give you something to do if you are wanting to stay in for the weekend and focus on staying ahead on your budget for the month. What do you do in the kitchen to save money and stay on track? Do you use a menu? How do you pass the time on a weekend when you are trying to not spend a bunch of money?